Tuesday, May 29, 2012

VBS 2012 - Summer Classes for Kids

Hey international families~

Looking for cheap/free, last-minute summer camps to send your kids to?  Searching the Internet for terms like “Houston summer camps”, “English lessons”, and “get them out of the house and out of my hair before they drive me up the walls insane”?

Well, unfortunately I can't offer a Japanese VBS like I could last year (it's tough doing it all by my lonesome - unless someone out there actually wanted to help me with it), but there are tons of week-long, half-day VBS (Vacation Bible School) locations offered by local churches.  Don't worry, it's not scary religious propaganda or anything.  Kids love it.  It's not really like school, but more with games and songs and arts & crafts and interesting stories.  I did it when I was a kid.  Many Americans do.

What I wish was available were more ESL classes for international adults for that week.  I only know of Rice Temple Baptist offering such (actually I'll be helping out there, teaching one of the English slots and maybe a Bible class the following week).

There are so many locations out there, it's too much to keep track of them all.  I can't recommend every church, of course, but there's several good ones that I know better and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.  Otherwise, please call the church about any questions before you register.  For now, here's five.  If you want to, I guess you could even sign up for several different VBS locations since some are on different weeks. Several are using the same "Amazing Wonders" vintage 1920s aviation theme wherein the kids virtually travel to different locations around the globe learning about the power of God.  Wish I was still a kid.



Medical Center area:

June 4-8, 9:00 a.m. – noon
Rice Temple Baptist also offers their regular adult ESL classes at the same time all that week.
9-10 Bible classes, 10-11 English classes, and 11-12 music classes.

June 4-8, 9:00 a.m. – noon
Ditto with West University Baptist.  But please call or register for their time schedule.

On the west side of town, closer to Memorial City Mall or Katy:

June 11-15, 9:00 a.m. – noon
Check out the friendly folks at Tallowood.

June 25-29, 9:00 a.m. – noon
Likewise, with Bridgepoint.  You might remember this is where we had our Japanese VBS hosted last year.

July 9-12, 9:00 a.m. – noon, ends with a Family Fun Night on Thursday, July 12th from 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Second Baptist Church, Katy Campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment